b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] beguiling, or storming

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Mohler <jonathan.mohler AT gmail.com>
  • To: kwrandolph AT gmail.com
  • Cc: B-Hebrew Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] beguiling, or storming
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 14:31:34 -0500

Karl:

I liked the idea at first, but upon reflection, I think beguiling is a better fit, as I see the passage turning on the verbs to cover (כסה) and uncover (גלה).  A storm would work better if those two verbs were say, deny and proven (to be a liar), or something along those lines.

Jonathan E. Mohler
Baptist Bible Graduate School

You wrote:
in Proverbs 26:26 there’s found the word משאון M$)WN which is usually understood as coming from the root נשא N$) “to beguile, seduce with false promises: this is lifting a person up with sweet talk while not telling the whole truth”. This is a happax legomenon.

But while reading the verse this morning, I realized that M$)WN could also be derived from $)H to storm, but also often used to refer to a storm of emotions, so could this refer to a continual and emotional denial of charges to cover up that the charges are true?

What do you all think?