b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Date of Ancient Egyptian brick made in updraft kilns.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Ishinan <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Date of Ancient Egyptian brick made in updraft kilns.
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 14:40:14 +0000

Can we continue this conversation off list, please.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,

On 20/04/2013, at 12:21 AM, "K Randolph" <kwrandolph AT gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Ishinan:

Thank you for the reference.

Because you are the first person I heard of that claimed that fired bricks were made by others than just Raamsis II, I went to look for the evidence that you mentioned. I found http://www.osirisnet.net/mastabas/ty/e_ty_01.htm with eight pages of descriptions of the tomb.

The only reference to bricks I found was to “mud bricks”, i.e. adobe.

Pottery also needs to be fired in a kiln, are the kilns that you mention designated for pottery rather than construction bricks used in building houses?

Can you provide some references that I can check up on, as in my experience you are a minority opinion? The other sources (plural) that I have found all say that Raamsis II was the only pre-Greco-Roman era pharaoh to utilize fired bricks for construction purposes. Further, from a Biblical historical source, he is dated to the time of Jeremiah.

Thanks again, Karl W. Randolph.