b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Zipporah the Cushite

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joseph Roberts <josephroberts3 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Zipporah the Cushite
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 14:48:51 -0700

I was reading the English translation of the Samaritan Pentateuch by Benny Tsadaka. According to him in Numbers 12:1Moses had only one wife, Zipporah and the word translated as Cushite in the MT is understood to be a different word pronounced "Kaashet" which means Beautiful. I did notice that Targum Onkelos in the rendering of this verse says the following:

And Miriam and Aharon spake against Mosheh, because of the fair woman whom he had taken, because the fair woman who .had been sent away he had taken. And they said, Hath the Lord spoken only with Mosheh? Hath He not spoken with us also? And it was heard before the Lord. [But the man Mosheh was very humble, more than all the men who were upon the face of the earth.]

Just curious of everyone's thoughts on the issue,

--
Joseph Roberts ( UCC 1-308)