b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] grassy roof

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] grassy roof
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 12:06:36 -0800

Thanks Pere and others who answered:

Each of the verses where “grass of the roof” is mentioned, also mention the grass drying up. This would be consistent with grass seeds being blown up or carried by birds onto a hard roof and not having deep roots. Only a poorly maintained house would have a lot of grass, if this picture is correct.

I have lived in an area with traditional adobe houses with mud roofs (actually wood, with a layer of compressed and dried mud as a water sealer) and properly maintained, they don’t leak, nor do grasses grow on them. On a somewhat not as well maintained roof, some grasses may grow, but they quickly dry up because the roof is usually hotter and dryer than the nearby fields. So the picture of accidental growth, not deliberate planting makes sense.

But in all the country? Is there any evidence from the bronze age or there-abouts for deliberately sown grass roofs? Or are we still guessing?

Karl W. Randolph.