b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] hatef vowels

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: ps2866 AT bingo-ev.de
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] hatef vowels
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 22:16:03 -0500

I think that the claim that hatef is "spoken shorter"  is a terminological farce resulting from the funny literal misinterpretation of "hatef" (which I think is but another word for schwa) as "snatched".

I think that the XATAP-PATAX, for instance, is instituted as a conciliation of a tradition for a schwa and a tradition for the sound A.

I have never heard the XATAP-PATAX being read "shorter". It is routinely (and this is how do it) read as A, and Hebrew works perfectly well this way.

It is true, that some readers revert to a schwa in a xet marked by a hatef.

Isaac Fried, Boston University