b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ezra 1:9, MXLP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ezra 1:9, MXLP
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 07:39:39 +0100

The basic and main meaning of XLP is "to pass on/through" as we clearly have it in Song 2:11: "The rain passed on and went (out / away)"
Now, it is true that in the Hiphil it takes a range of meanings where "exchange" seems to be the main one.
In Jb 29:20 I cannot understand what TXLYP really means...

I think, Karl, that in Ez 1:9 we have to trust the tradition, which has understood this word as "knives".  LXX has "parellagmena".

And concerning the form, do you not accept that it can also be a Hiphil Participle?

Greetings

Pere Porta