b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] How do I interpret the waw-perfect/weqatal forms in Zechariah 8:3?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: C L <sigebryht AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] How do I interpret the waw-perfect/weqatal forms in Zechariah 8:3?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 23:54:21 -0500

1. I would not read into the cantillation marks more than the minimum: the ZAQEP QATAN over the 3rd, the 6th and the 13th word of the verse is a comma, while the ETNAXTA under YRU$ALAIM is a semicolon.

2. The TIPXA before the ETNAXTA is regularly read less emphatically than the same TIPXA before the climactic SOP-PASUQ, this is at least how I do it.

3. The acts of God, namely, שבתי $ABTIY and ושכנתי W-$AKANTIY are, in my opinion, timeless.

4. It appears to me that the W of ושכנתי W-$AKANTIY is the English 'and', while the W of ונקראה W-NIQRAH is the English 'then'.

Isaac Fried, Boston University