b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re. More on verbs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Spinti <jspinti AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re. More on verbs
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 12:16:20 -0600

Again this is from John Cook...
________________________________
James Spinti
E-mail marketing, Book Sales Division
Eisenbrauns, Good books for more than 35 years
Specializing in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical Studies
jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
Phone: 260-445-3118
Fax: 574-269-6788

Begin forwarded message:

From: John Cook <jacookvwbus AT yahoo.com>
Date: December 12, 2012, 12:18:39 PM EST
To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re. More on verbs

Karl:

I'm not entirely sure your reference is to me and my blog post when you write about how "he" reads the Hebrew text. Really now, isn't surmising my motives the sort of ad hominem approach that Rolf has claimed does not take place here? In any case, isn't it a false distinction to make between solving the philological puzzle (i.e., interpreting the text) and applying it? How do I know how to apply any linguistic message if I don't first interpret it?? As you state, you wanted to know how to apply the biblical text better so you read it (i.e., you interpreted it!). My overriding interest in interpreting the text is because all too often those religious users of the text (Jewish and Christian) seem to skip that step and apply whatever meaning (ostensibly a meaning from the text) to their lives. We can all agree that the Bible has been misinterpreted often enough to make us wary of either abandoning interpretation or pretending we are not doing it anyway.

John
John A. Cook
Associate Professor Old Testament
Asbury Theological Seminary