b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yiddish cursive script for biblical Hebrew students

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Transcriber <transcriber AT tanakh.us>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yiddish cursive script for biblical Hebrew students
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 23:07:50 -0800

Chris:

I was taught it in first year class, but haven’t used it in years.

What I’ve found far more useful for someone learning Biblical Hebrew is learning archaic Hebrew script, not just the Aramaic Square Characters used in most Hebrew writings. Knowing these allows students to read directly surviving ancient writings and inscriptions without having to depend on someone else to transcribe them.

Karl W. Randolph.