b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] First 9 Written Hebrew Words

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] First 9 Written Hebrew Words
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 21:00:36 +0200

Jim,

Shlomo Izre'el's article really is interesting – thank you for bringing it to my attention. However your post totally misconstrues what it says. Nowhere does Izre'el call the language of the Amarna letters "Hebrew". He calls it "Canaano-Akkadian", a local literary dialect used by Canaanite scribes who "thought that they were writing Akkadian". So do you consider Canaanite and Hebrew to be identical? Most linguists would say that Hebrew is one of the Iron-Age dialects that developed from Late Bronze Age southern Canaanite. But they are not the same.

Yigal Levin