b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] yrw$lm

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] yrw$lm
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 15:34:24 -0200

jim,

in canaanite, as far as i know, there was a single
word for city, QRT/QRYT. and we have enough written material
to discard other synonyms with some certainty. so, your argument
that the canaanite name was YRW-$LM = city of peace, is unlikely
since one should expect QRT-$LM or QRYT-$LM instead.

you are positing a canaanite word which, as far as we
can tell, did not exist.

in addition, as far as i know, no other (canaanite) city contained
the element YRW, probably nor the element $LM.

>>>jim: In my view, (i) the Canaanite name of this city meant “City of
>>>Peace”,

nir cohen