b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Why G-d became angry with Bil\am

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <hadeesh AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Why G-d became angry with Bil\am
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:55:00 -0700 (PDT)

First, I want to wish to all an easy fast and a most fulfilling and spiritual Yom haKippureem to those celebrating.

nir cohen wrote:
"this chapter raises one more problem: god allows bilam to go (22:20) but
disapproves when he does go (22:22).:

Karl W. Randolph wrote:
"As for the second question, why God first refused, then allowed Balaam to go? I don’t know either, and any answer I’d propose at this time will be speculation. I’ve puzzled over this many a time."

The answer is that Bil\am saddled his donkey,  AeToN - figure out the etymology for that word and you will understand why G-d became angry with him.

David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA