b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] skies in plural? (Rolf's response 2)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Jerry Shepherd <jshepherd53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] skies in plural? (Rolf's response 2)
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 08:55:16 -0400

Appears to me that רקע RQ( is 'smooth', and that the רקיע RAQIYA is but the
apparently smooth (no mountains no valleys) canopy overhead. How something is made
smooth is, in my opinion, but an extraneous anachronistic technical argument.

The verb שחק $AXAQ is also 'to smooth' (possibly by rubbing and wearing away, as in Job 14:19), and hence the שחקים $XAQIYM of Deut. 33:26.

Isaac Fried, Boston University