b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] skies in plural? (Rolf's response 4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] skies in plural? (Rolf's response 4)
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 01:10:28 +0000

Rolf Fururli wrote:

"This means that the creation account cannot be based on human observation,
and therefore we cannot explain any part of it as such. Either its origin is
mythological, it is a guesswork by the writer, or it is given the writer by
God. And here we have a real clash between the scientific method where
metaphysics is excluded, and the Tanakh that is full of metaphysics—God is
everywhere."

Some would call this a false dichotomy. But let's remember to stick to
language and literature.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia