b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] skies in plural?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: TedBro AT aol.com
  • To: if AT math.bu.edu
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] skies in plural?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 15:36:18 -0400 (EDT)

Isaac:

Not sure what you are asking. I thought Jerry did a nice job documenting
the metallurgical use of RQ(...

"Rq( as a verb occurs 12x in the Hebrew Bible. With 5 of those occurrences,
Exod 39:3; Num 17:3, 4; Isa 40:19; and Jer 10:9, there is no debate at all
as to what is being denoted by the verb: a process of hammering, beating,
and stamping out metal."

For example,

39:3 And they did beat the gold into thin plates, and cut it into wires, to
work it in the blue, and in the purple, and in the scarlet, and in the
fine linen, with cunning work. (King James Bible, Exodus)

I must admit that I have not looked at this entire verse in the Hebrew. (Am
still on vacation and away from my home library.) But I assume that RQ( is
here rendered "beat" and that "thin plates" is a reasonable rendering.

As to whether the root is early or late, not sure what that would mean or
why important... Surely we are talking pre-Iron age in any case, right?

On the substance of the argument, wouldn't you agree that if there is no
literal hammer implied in God's creating a RQY(, there need be no literal
metallic surface either?

Cheers,
Ted

In a message dated 9/10/2012 1:04:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time,