b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A VISUAL EXPRESSION OF A THEOLOGICAL IDEA OF THESKY/HEAVEN ( Rolf's Response 8)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishnian" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A VISUAL EXPRESSION OF A THEOLOGICAL IDEA OF THESKY/HEAVEN ( Rolf's Response 8)
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 04:34:11 -0500

Dear George,

Thank you for your clarification. I think enough has been said in this
thread, so I do not intend to continue. But I would also like to clarify my
position.

My experience from Academia is that there is too little independent thinking.
When a student begins at the university, he or she is taught the viewpoints
of the teachers, and the curriculum is so big that there is little time for
independent thinking. This usually continues until graduation; the students
believe they are independent thinkers, but the opposite is the case.. A study
of which projects were accepted for doctoral studies at the University of
Oslo, showed that only those projects that had working hypotheses that
accorded with the views of the teachers were accepted.

I for one have taken a different course, and time and again I have challenged
that which is accepted. I have written a doctoral dissertation where I
suggest a new understanding of the verbal system of Classical Hebrew; I have
written two books on Babylonian and Persian chronology where I give evidence
that the the chronology of Claudius Ptolemy, that is universally accepted, is
wrong; and I have written two books on Bible translation, pointing out how
theology and bias colors modern Bible translations. In my view, it is a
service to scholars and students to challenge what is accepted. This is the
way science should work!

Regarding the creation account in Genesis 1 and 2, my experience is that
students are taught that it is mythological, on the basis of very superficial
evidence. But when the teacher say so, it is so. My position is that I want
to challenge the accepted viewpoints regarding the cosmology of the Tanakh,
and I do this by arguing that the accounts can be interpreted in a
non-mythological way. The readers should weight the arguments of both sides.
I have of course my own philosophy and religious view, but in none of the
posts to -b-hebrew in this and related threads have I used theological
arguments. My position has been that Genesis 1 and 2 can be interpreted in a
way that accords with our modern cosmology. Thus, the account needs not be
of the same nature as other ANE cosmologies. When Jerry, for example, wrote
that THW WBHW in 1:2 can refer to chaos, he is of course right. But an
alternative understanding of the words is "formless and void" (NJB) or
"unformed and void" (JPS). My point was that the account do not start with
THW WBHW, but with the creation of the universe by the one God. This is in
contrast to Enuma Elish and other creation accounts. In order to show that
the first words in the creation account were non-mythological I needed to
refer to our knowledge of the universe (modern science). I did not use faith
statments but only data. The eternality of the creator, stated elswhere, is
not against logic, but accords with the laws of nature, and in contrast to
ANE accounts and the view of many people at different times, heaven and earth
had a beginning and are not eternal. The conclusion was that the first words
of Genesis, apart for the metaphysical element "God", accord with what we
know, rather than being mythical. By arguing this way, I do not claim that
the writer of the account entertained a modern view of the earth and the
universe. But I say that the descriptions in Genesis 1 and 2 can be
interpreted in a non-mythological and literal way, and that they accord with
what we KNOW about the origin of the earth and its living creatures.

Not being allowed to refer to our present knowledge of the universe, was what
I reacted against. Thank you again for your clarification.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway

Fredag 7. September 2012 01:34 CEST skrev George Athas