b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ] A VISUAL EXPRESSION OF A THEOLOGICAL IDEA OF THESKY/HEAVEN ( Rolf's Response 6)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishnian" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ] A VISUAL EXPRESSION OF A THEOLOGICAL IDEA OF THESKY/HEAVEN ( Rolf's Response 6)
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 06:31:36 -0500

Dear George,

I agree that the focus should be on literary and linguistic issues. But I
do not understand your first point. You yourself and several others have
argued that the account in Genesis 1 and 2 is mythological and is of the same
nature as all the other cosmological accounts in ANE. Comparisons with Enuma
Elish and other accounts have been made. One list member wrote that the
account in Genesis 1 started with chaos—the mythological catchword. Did I
violate the rules of b-hebrew when I argued that the account did not start
with chaos, and that what is said in Genesis 1:1-2 accords with modern
science? Is a reference to scientific findings (the laws of thermodynamics)
not allowed, whereas references to ancient findings and documents are
allowed? My arguments are just as much a discussion of Hebrew "literature"
as comparisons with Enuma Elish. When I claim that the account in Genesis 1
and 2 accords with what have been found in the crust of the earth, and t
herefore need not be interpreted in a mythological way, this is a statement
about the literary nature of the account, just as much as comparisons with
mythological accounts. I have not understood the rules of b-hebrew in a way
that all kinds of arguments in favor of mythology are allowed, but arguments
in favor of of the opposite, that accounts in the Tanakh are
non-mythological, are not allowed.

I would like to stress that I do not believe in or defend creationism. And
I have neither time not interest in a discussion of the creation account in
the light of modern science. My motive for joining this discussion, was a
wrong use of lexical semantics on the list. It was argued that RQY( ONLY
could refer to a solid vault, that is, its reference is mythological, and
this is simply not true. I think it is a service to the listmembers when
someone raises his voice and argues that there are alternatives to the
mythological understanding of specific parts of the Tanakh, particularly when
this is done by the help of linguistic and historical arguments.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
Stavern
Norway

Torsdag 6. September 2012 11:09 CEST skrev George Athas