b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] ] A VISUAL EXPRESSION OF A THEOLOGICAL IDEA OF THESKY/HEAVEN ( Rolf's Response 4)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] ] A VISUAL EXPRESSION OF A THEOLOGICAL IDEA OF THESKY/HEAVEN ( Rolf's Response 4)
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 21:32:05 +0000

Sorry, Ted, but that's taking your own definition and expectation of what
should and shouldn't be classified as 'THE' beginning, and using that as the
measure; or it is assuming that the writer of Gen 1 had your definitions.
Either way, this is a backward method, I'm afraid. The question is what the
writer thought he/she was doing. This is not a theological question that
seeks to answer the question through what other biblical writers may have
expressed, but rather a literary question: what does the author of
specifically Gen 1 want to convey?

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia