b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] TWLDT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] TWLDT
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 13:19:06 +0300

Hi Karl,

Sorry for taking so long to reply. The word "toldot" is derived from YLD,
which means "to give birth", so I suppose that the most literal translation
in modern English would be "what was born of", or maybe "the outcomes of", or
"issues" of ("issue" NOT with the meaning of "subject"). "Issue" or "outcome"
could be physical - a person's children - or abstract, as in the outcome of a
certain act or situation. In Modern Hebrew, "toldot" is used for what in
English is called "history" (which of course has come to have a meaning
different that the Greek 'Istoria). The department in which I teach is called
"Jewish History" in English and "Toldot Yisrael" in Hebrew.

The English word "generation" has the same basic meaning - what is generated
by something. This "generating" can be physical, such as generating
offspring, or otherwise. I assume that the KJV translators used what to them
best fit the ambiguity of the Hebrew word (they did this often). The problem
is, that in the 400 that have passed, the semantic range of "generation" has
narrowed, coming to mean (almost) only what in Hebrew is more narrowly called
"dor" - whether biological or in technology (such a "generation 3.5
cellphones" - "dor shalosh va-xetsi").

As always, translations should never be too rigid, and should always fit the
context.

Yigal Levin