b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Circle ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Circle ???
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:29:42 +0000

Ishinan, I suspect the reference to four 'corners' reflects more the English
idiom than the actual Hebrew phrase. The words used in this kind of
expression simply refer to the 'edges' or 'extremities' rather than 'corners'
per se. And the notion of four probably comes from the cardinal directions
(north, south, east, and west). In any case, even the Hebrew idioms here seem
to reflect an earth of which one could reach the edge—that is, a flat earth
of some kind.

GEORGE ATHAS
Dean of Research,
Sydney, Australia