b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Etymology of Nazarene or Nazareth ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Stephen Goranson <goranson AT duke.edu>
  • To: "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Etymology of Nazarene or Nazareth ?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 12:11:00 +0000

I say the name appears in Qumran as a Hebrew self-designation. And I am not
alone. See, for example,
VanderKam, James C. "Identity and History of the Community." In The Dead Sea
Scrolls after Fifty Years: A Comprehensive Assessment, ed. Peter W. Flint and
James C. VanderKam, 2:487-533. Leiden: Brill, 1999.
Stephen