b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] the C-V theory

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com,b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] the C-V theory
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 09:54:34 -0200

jim,

it is possible that, as you say, biblical hebrew contains simplified versions
of hurrian words, with vowels removed.
but can you also eliminate the possibility that these words have an earlier
semitic origin, adapted to hurrian with
vowels or suffix added? or created independently? after all, diffusion
processes may go both way. words like EL/ILU and
endings like -YAH and -WN seem to go back quite a long time in the semitic
records.

now, by "eliminate" i dont mean repeat the hurrian hypothesis, rather, start
with the semitic or independence hypothesis and show it is impossible.

nir cohen

On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 23:09:11 -0400 (EDT), jimstinehart wrote

> 1.  Nir Cohen wrote:  “while i agree with jim that final Y may represent
> -YA or -YAH in both ancient hebrew and hurrian, …the NWS endings -WT,-YM
> used for plural and -H,-Y,-AH,-W etc used as verbal suffixes (assuming they
> were also used so in biblical times hebrew) cannot be easily interpreted as
> "consonants" followed by a vowel.”
>
> Let’s use that insight to try to solve the 3,000-year-old Biblical mystery
> of who is being referenced by the following 6 names at Genesis 15: 19-21
> that have baffled scholars:  QYNY/Qa-a-ni-ya;  QNZY/ Qa-ni-zi-ya;
> XTY/Xu-ti-ya;  PRZY/Pi-ri-zi-ya;  GRG$Y/Ge-ra-ge-$e-ya;
> YBWSY/A-bu-u-se-ya.  Note first that the classic -YM west Semitic ending is
> suspiciously absent in all 6 cases.  Rather, in all 6 cases the ending is
> -Y, which can be the Hebrew rendering of the standard Hurrian theophoric
> suffix -ya.  Starting with that key insight, then on the C-V theory that
> we’re discussing, it turns out to be child’s play to match these 6 names on
> a letter-for-letter basis to attested Hurrian personal names with vintage
> Late Bronze Age spellings. We then realize that these 6 Hurrian personal
> names are being used to reference the Hurrians [just like the personal name
> “Knickerbockers” is used as a colorful reference to Manhattanites].
>
> 2.  Many 3,000-year-old Biblical mysteries can be solved using the C-V
> theory.  Here’s an important example of that.  If the original spelling of
> the name of the Patriarchs’ favorite place to sojourn in Canaan was what we
> still see in the received unpointed Masoretic Text today, namely XBRWN,
> then on the C-V theory we would expect that 5-letter name to be a
> 5-syllable name.  In fact, it’s the expected Hebrew spelling of the Hurrian
> word for “heaven” or “the heaven”:  xa-bu-ru-u-ne.  Syllables 1, 2, 3 and 5
> are C-V, with Hebrew rendering only the consonant.  The 4th syllable is, as
> is so often the case in Hurrian, a vowel as its own separate syllable
> [essentially unknown in Hebrew common words].  The modern Hebrew
> mispronunciation of this ancient name is as bad as the KJV
> mistransliteration of this name. It’s not a 2-syllable name, with two
> closed syllables.  No way. Rather, it’s 5 syllables, per there being 5
> Hebrew letters, with the rule being
that there is one Hebrew letter per foreign syllable.  There’s no closed
syllable in sight.  Just as Karl’s C-V theory posits.

> As everyone already knows, XBRWN can also, with quite a bit of stretching,
> be stretched to mean “united” in Hebrew.  But the interior vav/W is not
> plene spelling!!!  No, it’s a vowel as its own separate syllable in the
> primary, Hurrian meaning of this name.  The meaning, then, of XBRWN is:
> “Being United [Is] Heaven”.  Now look at Genesis 14: 13.  One of the best
> things about the Patriarchs’ “Hebron” was that not only was it a rural
> nirvana, but very importantly Abram was in covenant relationship with both
> the ruling Amorite princeling there, whose Patriarchal nickname was Mamre
> the Amorite, and also with such ruler’s fellow princelings, the Hurrian
> princeling A-ni-ra and the Canaanite princeling Eshcol.  Historically that
> checks out perfectly, as the Amorite princeling ruler of the place which is
> the opposite of east of Bethel [Genesis 13: 9, 11] indeed allied with
> tent-dwellers like the Hebrews and with Hurrian princelings and Canaanite
> princeling
s as well.

> All analysts have missed the key textual fact here that whereas Abram
> [before his name change] had a valuable alliance with the Amorite
> princeling ruler of the Patriarchs’ “Hebron”, nevertheless after the name
> change to Abraham no Patriarch is ever reported as being in alliance with
> any ruler of the Patriarchs’ Hebron.  The “good old days”, whose passing
> was much lamented by the early Hebrews [and whose passing was also the
> catalyst, in my opinion, for the historical birth of Judaism, which would
> soon find the Hebrews moving a few miles east from the Ayalon Valley, up to
> the secure hill country north of Jerusalem], were precisely when the first
> Hebrew, Abram, had had a close alliance with the Amorite ruler of the place
> west of Bethel.  Indeed, that grand old man Amorite ruler was so revered by
> the first Hebrews that (i) the first Hebrews called the place where that
> Amorite princeling ruled by the following Patriarchal nickname:  “Being
> United [Is] Heaven”
/XBRWN;  and (ii) the early Hebrew author of the Patriarchal narratives
paired the root of XBRWN, namely XBR, with the Hebrew version of the
historical name of “Mamre the Amorite”, the Amorite princeling ruler of the
Ayalon Valley west of Bethel in Year 12, namely Milk-Ilu:  MLK – Y - )L, at
Genesis 46: 17 [where the interior yod/Y there is a name divider].