b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 115, Issue 3

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Vol 115, Issue 3
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 17:25:41 -0200

pere, uri,

(i hope i am not duplicating, i had some problem with email, disconsider the
last message if it was sent)

i fully agree with uri that Ecc 9:12 uses variation as a tool in poetic
parallelism in using SHE- and HA-, as well as using passive vs active, and
there is no NEED to seek any additional nuances. but note that the parallelism
SHE-HA is not perfect, syntactically: normally, SHE- (as ASHER) is used before
verbs in qatal/yiqtol, while HA- is used before adjective, or for this matter,
verbs in qotel.

this is not so in Ecc 9:12: both verbs NEEXAZIM, AXUZOT are in qotel,
representing "generic/timeless" states. (this was a necessity as they are
compared with YUKASHYM, also qotel). thus, Ecc introduces a syntactic
innovation: SHE- before qotel (this use is very common also today).

this corroborates a general opinion (to which i subscribe) that Ecc
is a very late book, either in its original form or in its edited form,
and anyway (maybe most would agree) its hebrew style is atypical. this, in
particular, is reflected in both statistics and etymology of the use of
SHE-, which is considered late and is most frequent in Ecc.

the use of HA- for verbs in qotel seems to be old, as it appears in Gen
many times (e.g. 19:15, 21:6 etc).

nir cohen