b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Transliteration

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Daniel Lundsgaard Skovenborg <waldeinburg AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Barry H." <nebarry AT verizon.net>, "b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Transliteration
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 07:19:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Barry,

There's two approaches to this:

1. Use a keyboard layout for the purpose. They keyboard will insert the
proper Unicode character, like ʾ. (But that was probably what you meant with
"a special character set".)
Now, I'm not currently aware of
keyboard for classical translitteration, but you can get keyboards for
IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet):
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=UniIPAKeyboard
I think these keyboards will only lack ʾ and ʿ, but I believe you can insert
these by holding Alt and
typing 02BE or 02BF. Anyway, I think we should adopt IPA (ʔ
and ʕ), but that's just my opinion.

As fonts like Times New Roman are not always fully implemented, you may also
want to download an IPA font:
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?&cat_id=FontDownloadsIPA
Your documents will not be broken without, but some diacritics may be placed
slightly wrong.

2. (which have to be mentioned,
but don't use it:) Legacy fonts: You type in standard latin letters
using your standard keyboard layout and apply a font that e.g. renders
the letter A as ʾ.
You can for example get the SPAtlantis font here:
http://www.sbl-site.org/educational/biblicalfonts_splegacyfonts.aspx
BUT: Because of Unicode, legacy
fonts are an obsolete approach (sorry, Bibleworks, but it is). It's a hack,
and your documents will be
broken on computers that don't have the font.
We should raise our children to
believe that, like playing with fire, using legacy fonts will make you
pee in the bed (… just kidding).

Regards,
Daniel Lundsgaard Skovenborg