b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Purim

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Purim
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:19:03 -0400

Isaac,

During a brief speech at my son's brit mila on Taanit Esther 2003 at the
Eldridge Street Synagogue on the Lower East Side, I raised that very issue:
the distinct possibility (and I suspect probability) that Asher was the
masculine counterpart of Canaanite Ashera (Ashtoret/Ishtar/Esther). It's
certainly interesting that the traditional symbol of the Tribe of Asher is
a tree.

What made it especially fun is that members of my very frum family in the
pews stared at me aghast as if I'd just landed from Mars.

Uzi Silber