b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] -HM vs -MW suffix

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] -HM vs -MW suffix
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:09:53 -0300

isaac,

i gave you many examples of suffixes. in your answer you only object to one
of them, YE$U(ATAH. so, i take it you
accept the general picture i describe...

now, to the point: you are correct about YE$U(ATAh and i retract my words: it
is not a T-suffix. but it is a suffix nonetheless!

more precisely, it is an H-suffix (added to the SMIXUT-form YE$UAT). it isthe
same construction as UT$UVATO HARAMATAH (2Sam??),
where the use is justified as directive. the same smixut+H occurs whenever
the original word ends with an H by itself,
so as to avoid two consecutive H. HAGIV(ATAH, HABIQ(ATAH, HAQIRYATAH etc.

so, the construction is a known construction in BH. in Ps 3:3 i believe the
same form was used out ofcontext (i.e. not as a
directive), just for poetic reasons.

-------------------------------------

XALCAH: the volitive H-ending in BH, whatever you call it, is factually an
H-suffix. the rest is either speculation
or phantasy (see below for the difference). some scholars (following, i
think, rainey and moran, based on amarna letters)
think that this is a descendant of the canaanite QATALA form, also used as
volitive, which preserves the same final -A.
but they at least base their theory on some evidence.  this does not
NECESSARILY contradict your explanation, but would push
it at least one thousand years backwards. this is relevant to the rest of my
answer below.

-------------------------

let us once and for all end this running-around-the-bush on your "theory of
suffixes".
there is a limit to what one can take as legitimate argument. we are not here
to build palaces
in the sand but to find some sense in an old script.

i really support your theory that at some extremely remote moment in the
formation of early BH, or beyond,
all the affixes and suffixes had personal pronouns as their origin.

i think most of us in b-hebrew share the same conviction. we see similar
constructions in practically every language in
the world, including english.of course, it is mere speculation, because it
has no evidence in history. at best, it goes back to
pre-historic times, i.e. before the written word. maybe not in english,
certainly in hebrew.

so, the question is when one leaves speculation and enters phantasy.

here is when it becomes phantasy: when the same equation (suffix=pronoun) is
taken out of context and time.

it is certainly a gross anachronism to continue using the same primitivity
argument indefinitely after the language had
been given its more or less developed form, which is what you insist of
doing. things got a long way off; for example,
nobody would nowadays (not even in isaiah's time) associate HALKAH with H.L.K
+ HI), HALKU with H.L.K + HEM, HALAK
with H.L.K. + HU). the suffix became very different from the pronoun (or vice
versa)!

nor would isaiah have had any way of associating YE$U(ATAH with YW$UAH + ATAH.

things changed! nobody knows anymore your magic formula ... but you go on
using it!!!

this is what i call phantasy.

--------------------------------

also, at this particular phrase, with all due respect, the pronoun ATAH is
also completely out of text:

                                                 רַבִּים, אֹמְרִים
לְנַפְשִׁי:    אֵין יְשׁוּעָתָה לּוֹ בֵאלֹהִים סֶלָה.

should we translate it as:

                Many there are that say of my soul:    "There is no salvation
you for him in God"?????

i call this gibberish. also observe that soul NEFE$ is feminine, so ATAHmakes
no sense. but even assuming YE$U(ATAH = YE$U(AH + AT,
it is equally gibberish to me.

nir cohen

  On Sun, 19 Feb 2012 19:00:48 -0500, Isaac Fried wrote