b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Miqdash

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Miqdash
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2012 17:46:37 -0500

1. The whole verse appears to me a latter refrain to the song sang in the temple, with MIKDA$ ADONAI KONNU YADEYKA transported from somewhere else.

2. It is, indeed, a theoretically interesting question why the dagesh could not wait for the D, and instead hastened to settle himself in the Q. But on the practical "phonological" and "morphological" levels it does not matter one little bit where the dagesh is located, if at all. one may remove the dagesh and nothing will change --- no one will miss it. In fact, latter-day "massorates" are good at doing just that.

Isaac Fried, Boston University