b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Blau - Phonology and Morphology of Biblical Hebrew; An Introduction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Blau - Phonology and Morphology of Biblical Hebrew; An Introduction
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 07:34:45 -0800

George:

Define “critical”.

According to the definition of “critical” from the dictionary found in the
Macintosh OS (copied and pasted below), I practice the second definition
regularly. That is what is behind my having written a dictionary from
Biblical Hebrew to English, as I analyzed word uses in Hebrew and compared
them to other dictionaries to which I had access and found that those
dictionaries did not always give accurate definitions that fit the contexts
where the words were found in Biblical Hebrew.

However, there is a fifth definition found among liberal theologians that
refers to a school of belief founded on an à priori belief in evolution, an
Euro-centric hubris with a dash of anti-Semitism (I don’t know if modern
practitioners continue that anti-Semitism) that has built up a rather
elaborate edifice upon that rotten foundation. No matter how intricate the
carving or elaborate the paintings on the edifice, using the second
definition of “critical” thought to pull out the rot in the foundation will
bring down the whole structure. Yes, a few pieces of art may be
salvageable, but most will have to be carted off to the trash heap after
the collapse.

So which definition of “critical” do you mean?

Karl W. Randolph.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:11 AM, George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>wrote:

> Karl,
>
> That was a very elaborate way of saying, "I refuse to engage with critical
> scholarship."
>
> Happy building!
>

> GEORGE ATHAS
> Director of Postgraduate Studies
> Moore Theological College (Sydney, Australia)

critical |ˈkritikəl|adjective1 expressing adverse or disapproving comments
or judgments: he was critical of many U.S. welfare programs.2 expressing or
involving an analysis of the merits and faults of a work of literature,
music, or art: she never won the critical acclaim she sought.• (of a
published literary or musical text) incorporating a detailed and scholarly
analysis and commentary: a critical edition of a Bach sonata.• involving
the objective analysis and evaluation of an issue in order to form a
judgement: professors often find it difficult to encourage critical
thinking in their students.3 (of a situation or problem) having the
potential to become disastrous; at a point of crisis: the flood waters had
not receded, and the situation was still critical.• (of a person) extremely
ill and at risk of death: he had been in critical condition since
undergoing surgery.• having a decisive or crucial importance in the success
or failure of something: temperature is a critical factor in successful
fruit storage.4 Mathematics & Physics relating to or denoting a point of
transition from one state to another.• (of a nuclear reactor or fuel)
maintaining a self-sustaining chain reaction: the reactor is due to go
critical in October.