b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Derivation pattern?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: leonard book <lbook AT 013net.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Derivation pattern?
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2011 10:50:39 -0800

Leonard:

I refuse to vocalize Biblical Hebrew in my posts to avoid unnecessary
argumentation.

We don’t know what was the original pronunciation of Biblical Hebrew. All
we have are the consonants, and we don’t even agree on the pronunciation of
those. There are some of us who believe that the modern pronunciation
(Israeli or Yemini) was how the ancients pronounced Hebrew before the
Babylonian Exile, others dispute that belief. Therefore, the safest way to
deal with that in these discussions is merely to write the Hebrew
consonants as they are found in Tanakh, and/or to write them out in
transliteration. That way there is no argument as to pronunciation (useful
to avoid that argument when other questions are the main subjects of a
posting).

When I read Tanakh, I read it without points (the text I have in my
computer has no points) so when I read the text and quote it in my messages
here, it will be without pronunciation.

Karl W. Randolph.