b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] [Q] Psalm 70:20?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Michael" <mtp1032 AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] [Q] Psalm 70:20?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 11:09:27 -0800

I was hoping someone could provide some guidance to me as to the grammar of
Psalm 73:20. Here's my translation (FWIW)

Like a dream from awaking, O LORD, when arising [their] tzalmam you despise.

(where tzalmam translates to 'image', 'phantom', 'shadow', etc.,)

In the MT text (I use BibleWorks), the word for image is marked as a
construct, singular noun with a 2nd person plural suffix. Yet, most
translations render the pronoun suffix as 'their', the 3rd person masculine
plural pronoun. OTOH, I can make no sense of "your tzalmam" in the context
of the Psalm. Any help you can provide would be very greatly appreciated.

May you all enjoy a very blessed Christmas,

Michael