b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ehyeh and the Tetragrammaton

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dewayne Dulaney <dewayne.dulaney AT gmail.com>
  • To: ahrens AT sigcorp.com, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ehyeh and the Tetragrammaton
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:52:48 -0600

Shalom, Ed!

Another good resource is the letter to Biblical Archaeology Review on
the pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton by Professor Anson F. Rainey,
which discusses the ancient evidence for its pronunciation. Rainey was
(I think he died not long ago) Professor of Ancient Near Eastern
Cultures and Semitic Linguistics at Tel Aviv University. He doesn't
mention the phrase with Ehyeh but does link YHWH with the parent verb
of Ehyeh. Rainey argues strongly for Yahweh as the correct
pronunciation.

I found it somewhere online (I forget where) as a Word document. Write
me off-list and I'll send you a copy.

Dewayne Dulaney
דואיין דוליני

--
"In the world you will have trouble. But, be brave! I have defeated the
world!"

My Bible blogs: http://my.opera.com/Loquor/blog/ and
http://hasopher.preachersfiles.com/

Read my translation of the Gospel of John in the Blog at www.greekingout.com.

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Ehyeh and the Tetragrammaton, Dewayne Dulaney, 12/22/2011