b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Opinions on J. Wash Watts "A Survey of Syntax in the Hebrew Old Testament

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Opinions on J. Wash Watts "A Survey of Syntax in the Hebrew Old Testament
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 16:09:58 -0800

shalom Rolf,

Thank you for your introductory post on your views and methodology.

The following did not agree with your conclusions though it very
carefully documented
perspectives on events and compared CBH with LBH:

Ohad Cohen, The Verbal Tense System in Late Biblical Hebrew Prose, 2007. PhD
Hebrew U.
I side with Ohad, though I don't have it in front of me.

For that matter, every multi-editioned reference grammar can be assumed to
have
gone over all 80,000 verb forms. Covering a relatively short corpus
like BH is not
unique to one study.

Anyway, our last discussion on this list was never answered, or I may
certainly
have missed it. if so, forgive me.
Both the LXX and the targumim, after full allowance is made for
translators and language differences, point to a distinction between
the aspect of
wayyiqtol and yiqtol. The wayyiqtol is basically a perfective
presentation, among
other things.

And finally, for ease of reference, it would help to have your final
conclusion(s) on
the meaning of yiqtol and qatal presented. These can be listed succinctly and
then everyone knows where your methodology led and may test how your views
may or may not fit the text in any one context.
'Perfective' and 'imperfective' is not enough, unless you want us to
apply generic,
cross-linguistic expectations to the terms. And you clearly don't want us to
do that.

braxot
Randall Buth

--