b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] היו and הייתם - qatal

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: Noam Eitan <noameitan AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] היו and הייתם - qatal
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 20:10:28 -0500

I find this archaic terminology vague ("This Binyan conveys the simplest possible meaning among the Binyanim". What is this "simplest"? and what is actually this "Binyan"? and what is this "easy"?) and possibly even misleading. You may call it whatever pleases you, but all it is is that HU) $AMAR, 'he guarded', is written distinctly, with an unattached HU). For the "second person" it is $AMAR-TA = $AMAR-ATA with an end-attached ATAH.

By agreement the form $AMAR-TA = $AMAR-ATA refers to a past action, whereas YI-DBAQ, with a pre-attached YI-, refers to an intended action of clinging by a certain Mr. YI.

Isaac Fried, Boston University