b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Clearing up the morphology of Hebrew, CV and CVC

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Clearing up the morphology of Hebrew, CV and CVC
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2011 12:22:27 -0800

Randall:

Don’t you notice that your response is 100% subjective? You have no
contemporary evidence for Biblical Hebrew pronunciation, all of your
speculation is based on later evidence and theory.

The thing I find strange is that nowhere have I stated that I have found
proof that Biblical Hebrew was a CV language, instead I have merely said
that I have investigated the possibility and there is some evidence that
Biblical Hebrew MAY have been a CV language, yet you vehemently attack even
the possibility. I have also said that it could have been that some
consonants could have closed syllables while others always were followed by
vowels, like modern Chinese. I am still somewhat agnostic on that subject.

But there is no question that modern pronunciation is far from Biblical era
pronunciation. By “modern”, I also include the transliterations found in
the LXX. So what was Biblical Hebrew pronunciation like? Wouldn’t it be
wonderful if we could have a time machine so we could go back to interview
native speakers?

Karl W. Randolph.