b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew: Is it West or Central Semitic Family?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ishinan" <ishinan AT comcast.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Hebrew: Is it West or Central Semitic Family?
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 19:15:54 -0500

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III wrote:

"Any notion that Hebrew was somehow special among languages since it was the
language of Scripture was dispelled in the 18th c., when philological study
was able to trace Hebrew back to the Semitic language family.

It was in that century that the name Semitic was coined to refer to languages
spoken in those areas of the Near East that the Bible purports to have been
settled by descendants of Shem:"

Dear Rev. Bryant,

To begin with, I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but the words
"Semites," or "Semitic," do not occur in the Bible.

What has been overlooked is that the term "Semitic", since its inception, has
been a gross misnomer.

To clarify this MISNOMER, lets go back to the "18th century philological
study" you mentioned above.

"The term Semite was coined by August Ludwig von Schlözer, in Eichhorn's
"Repertorium", vol. VIII (Leipzig, 1781), p. 161. Since then, it has become a
fixed technical term which is explained as an adjective derived from Shem,
one of the three sons of Noah in the Bible (Genesis 5.32, 6.10, 10.21)."

While Schlözer enjoyed the reputation of an erudite scholar who developed a
colorful structure for a universal history, he also had the reputation of
playing fast and loose with facts. Schlözer, being a jack of all trades and
master of none, could write about Old Norse topics and Phoenician seafaring
with such ease, as to give the impressions of in-depth knowledge.

Take for example his speculation that the Sun and the Earth had only been in
existence for 10,000 years. Such an idea was considered, to say the least,
off the wall even by 18th century standards. Worse, his amateurish proposal,
according to him, was adopted from foreign historians. Interestingly enough,
Schlözer never bothered to reveal the sources to buttress his preposterous
ideas.

Since the days of Schlözer, science has made great leaps. We now know that
the age of the earth and sun is around 4.54 billion years. We are in the 21st
century, and these antiquated ideas from the 18th century cannot be taken as
"whole cloth" anymore. Yet we cling to Schlözer's "Semitic" terminology,
without question and continue to accept it as describing a distinct race of
people descendent from Shem, rather than a linguistic term depicting
different peoples speaking cognate languages.

Unfortunately, we presently are stuck with the term, which historically is
incorrect in describing the group of cognate languages dubbed "Semitic".

Schlözer's "Semitic" misnomer can be readily discredited, but this will be
discussed in another post.

All the best.

Ishinan Ishibashi