b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Why Etymologies for Jacob's 11 Oldest Sons?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: JimStinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Why Etymologies for Jacob's 11 Oldest Sons?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:06:56 -0400

Actually, as you yourself pointed out recently, also there the bible struggle quit a bit with this name. Why? Because like me, the narrator of these momentous historical events feels that he needs to reconcile to himself, and to us, the curious fact that seemingly reasonable parents whimsically give to their nice Jewish boy son the apparently bizarre name He-will-laugh. He-will-be-a-doctor we could live with, but He-will-laugh?

Isaac Fried, Boston University