b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: To Bless???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Fw: Re: To Bless???
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 23:26:12 -0700 (PDT)

Karl,

The literal meaning of BRK is "to make a clearing / to go clear through"
The second of these does indeed suggest motion.  It can also be said as "to
go clear through = surpass, excel." So BaRuwKh can mean "is excellent."

With MiyN as in BaRuWkh KaBhoDh haShem MiMQoMo it could be understood as "the
glory of haShem excels/radiates clear through from his place."  When we
praise someone with BaRuKh we are essentially saying that they excel, have
excelled or are excellent.  When we curse someone we are saying that they are
outrageous, flagrant or repugnant.  In fact, the English word outrageous
itself means "to push beyond bounds" and like BRK it is also used both
positively and negatively.

As I am sure you know, the root BRK is also the base for the words
BaRayKhah = (clearing) a man made lake or
pool  (SmII2:13; 4:12)
BaRaKh = (make a cleared space) to kneel, bend the knee and hence knee

With regard to the sense of "to bless something or someone or make it prosper"
this can be understood as "to make someone / something prosper / excel /
surpass"

or in terms of motion "to cause them to move beyond their current state"

David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA