b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yamin -South (was: Names of Rachel's etc.)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yamin -South (was: Names of Rachel's etc.)
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 13:47:37 +0000

You're too rooted in modern cartography, Jim. Although Mesopotamia is
actually east of Israel-Palestine as we look at them on a map, it was still
considered in ancient times to be to the north because that is the direction
you headed in order to get there. To the east is the Syrian-Arabian Desert,
which is uncrossable. So, if the name Benjamin is meant to be a reference to
the birthplace of the youngest son in contrast to the other sons, then 'Son
of the South' is plausible.

Whether this is actually the case with Benjamin or not is another question.
I'm merely trying to show a false assumption in your previous post.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia