b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] NPL: a biblical pitfall and on the rise!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] NPL: a biblical pitfall and on the rise!
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 19:42:35 -0700 (PDT)

Nir,

How I wish you would have written everything out in Hebrew (should/could I
say Aramaic script) and given references, but here goes:

NPL comes from PLL which in turn comes from PWL = bean (possibly edge) as in
when in is split in half (yes I know Karl conjecture all the way, even I am
not sure)

Nevertheless, the words that come from PWL seem to mean
"to make an edge / side or to go from side to side"
PLCh =  to slice
PLG = to divide
PLH / PL) = to make a distinction / distinquish / be distinquished /
exceptional / wonderous / miraculous etc
PLSh = to wallow
PLTs = tremble / create trembling / be terrible
PLT^ (Tet) = serpentine >> escape / deliver (from womb)
PLL = consider between alternatives / adjudicate
NPL = to stumble > fall
NPLYM = giants (those that waver back and forth)
PYL = elephant (those that waver back and forth)

As for the issue of Ismael, the Pashat clearly is "upon/about the faces of
all of his brethren, he falls."  On the Pashat level, I am not really sure
what is being implied here.  I have written a metaphorical translation of
Torah and on that level the (metaphorical) translation works perfectly.  But
I have never shared any of those interpretations before primarily because I
would rather be considered another Isaac than another Jim on this list.
Suffice it to say that the phrase works perfectly / makes perfect sense in
the metaphor.

David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA