b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Names "Abram" and "Abraham"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • To: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, George.Athas AT moore.edu.au
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Names "Abram" and "Abraham"
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:23:00 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jim,

This is more of an acknowledgement than a response, as I don't have time to
make a fuller response, and this thread is closing shortly. Anyway, I think
I've already stated my objections to your analysis of "Abraham", so in closing
I'd like to say that I actually share your doubt that "Abraham" is just a
lengthened form of "Abram"; I just don't think that the answer lies in the
name "Abraham" containing within it the name of the Egyptian god "Re".

--
Will Parsons