b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 12:31 MLKN or MLBN?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 2 Samuel 12:31 MLKN or MLBN?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 23:26:06 +0300

Karl,

1. I don't have the Hebrew text of 4QSama, but Abegg, Flint and Ulrich's
translation has "put them to work making bricks".

2. When I read this verse, it seems to me as if David is torturing the
Ammonites, using various instruments, including something that has to do with
bricks. But I don’t pretend to understand the details, not to mention the
"ethical" side of it. The same is true for his treatment of the Moabites in
8:2.

3. You seem to assume that "only one pharaoh used fired bricks before the
Greek era, and that was Raamesis II". This is the first time I've ever heard
this claim. Could you point me to a reference? Not that it would convince me
that Ramses II was the same as Necho, but interesting notwithstanding.

Yigal Levin