b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Does the Name Caleb Mean "Dog"? Not.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Does the Name Caleb Mean "Dog"? Not.
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 00:31:26 +0000

Jim, there's no need to apologise for exuberance. But this is very different
to epistemic reality and humility. It would be far better to frame your
conclusions relatively ('In my opinion…') than to make grand sweeping claims
about the academy ('We have discovered a new way…'). One of the hallmarks of
a scholar should be an awareness of the state of play and where consensus
actually lies, rather than where one would like it to be. As far as I'm
aware, Caleb's name has not been a mystery at all. And I find it hard to
believe that there are Hurrians hiding under every rock in the ancient Levant.

GEORGE ATHAS
Director of Postgraduate Studies,
Sydney, Australia