b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hb 1:12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hb 1:12
  • Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 07:08:25 +0200

I'm reading the book of Habakkuk.
In verse 1:12 there is "LO) NFMWT"
Most translations provide for these two words the translation "We will not
die" or similar.
But there are some that have:
--"Who never dies" (New Jerusalem Bible)
--"you, who are eternal" (New Living Translation)
--"you shall not die" (New Revised Standard Version).

"We will not die" seems to be a translation that fits the grammar rules. And
so, we have NFQWM, we will arise (Neh 2:18) or NF$WB, we will return (Rt
1:10).

But as concerns the translation "you shall not die" or "who never dies" or
similar... I have a big trouble because I'm unable to understand on which
base, on which underground can a translator of LO) NFMWT state that these
two words mean that meaning.

Can someone on this list cast some light on why such a translation has been
possible?
Maybe NFMWT has been mistaken for a Nif'al Participle in the line of NFDWN,
(male) who is judged (2Sa 19:10) or NFKWN, (male) who is decided (Gn 41:32)
or NFBWN, (male) who discerns (Gn 41:33)?

Kind regards

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Northeastern Spain)