b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Year 13 Hebrew Grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • To: George.Athas AT moore.edu.au, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Year 13 Hebrew Grammar
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 22:24:20 -0400

Dear Dr. George Athas:

My last post posed the Hebrew grammar issue at Genesis 14: 4 as follows:

“[E]-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g would check out perfectly, if the second half of
Genesis 14: 4 says “And Year 13 they rebelled”, while not saying how it is
usually translated: “And in the 13th year they rebelled.” From the
standpoint of Hebrew grammar, what is your analysis of the second half of
Genesis 14: 4?”

To that you responded: “Jim, the question doesn't interest me as it
interests you. And I think it a gross overstatement to claim that this is the
greatest biblical mystery of all. I suspect few if any others agree with
your estimation of the problem.”

Does your answer/non-answer imply that my proposed Hebrew grammar analysis of
the second half of Genesis 14: 4 has merit? If my Hebrew grammar analysis
was in error, I would have expected you to attack it on the merits, for
example by pointing to Biblical examples that contradict it, rather than
saying that the general subject area I have raised “doesn't interest me as it
interests you.” I hope I am not out of line to take your answer/non-answer
as possibly implying that my proposed analysis of the Hebrew grammar of the
second half of Genesis 14: 4 is a reasonable position to take on a
grammatical basis.

As to the non-grammatical issue that you have raised twice now, you and I can
agree to disagree as to how super-ultra-exciting it would be to know the
exact year in which Abram is portrayed in Genesis as first settling at the
Patriarchs’ Hebron. If we knew exactly w-h-e-n Abram first settled at the
Patriarchs’ Hebron, then on that basis we could figure out w-h-e-r-e the
Patriarchs’ Hebron is located (northeast Ayalon Valley in the LBA vs.
southern hill country in EBA or MBA), and w-h-y Lot is oddly portrayed as
going east (rather than north or south) in leaving Bethel, shortly after the
text makes that controversial reference to the Canaanite and the Perizzite.
Pretty soon we might figure the whole thing out, including (if we’re thinking
big) at long last even identifying w-h-o the historical Girgashites
[Gera-ge-%i-ya/GR-G-%-Y] and Jebusites [I-bu-uS-ya/YBWS-Y] at Genesis 15:
19-21 are. Every name at Genesis 15: 19-21, and everything said in chapter
13 of Genesis, checks out historically in spades if Year 12 was when Abram
first settled at the Patriarchs’ Hebron, whereas as far as I can see, those
Biblical texts seem largely inexplicable on any other proposed timing.
Although to me that set of issues is the most exciting Biblical mystery out
there, I respect your view that few other people may share that particular
passion of mine.

Honestly, I was primarily simply trying to get from you your analysis of the
Hebrew grammar of the second half of Genesis 14: 4, since I greatly respect
your knowledge of Hebrew grammar. (I would still l-o-v-e to hear your
analysis of the Hebrew grammar of the second half of Genesis 14: 4.)

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois