b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nobody knows?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nobody knows?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 07:47:08 +0000

Pere,

I teach my students that if a stem (binyan) has an intrinsic prefix (example,
נ for Niphal; ה for Hiphil, Hophal, etc.), then when you remove a subject
prefix (example, the י of 3ms or ת of 3fs/2ms) a ה will appear, regardless of
what the intrinsic prefix was. Now, this is something of a cheat-method but
I've found it works. Whether there is anything specifically encoded into
Hebrew, I'm not sure. In other words, is the memory hook I teach my students
indicative of what actually happens across all stems, or is the Niphal
totally anomalous in gaining an unexpected ה?

I'm not sure.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au