b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] pere: Others?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] pere: Others?
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 21:14:22 -0200

dear pere,

you are speaking of two different constructions
which have nothing in common and by chance have equal form.

(I) the modern $IKBH is the usual hebrew feminine suffix which creates an
(often abstract) noun out of a verb. here, in binyan kal

GARAS--> GIRSAH, PARAC-->PIRCAH, SAMAX-->SIMXAH
(or PIEL: ZIMER-->ZIMRAH, NIQER-->NIQRAH etc).

(II) in contrast, gen 39:7 is the ancient "long imperative"
which has scores of example in the OT and seems to have a
less imperative, more persuasive tone than the short form.
it is also used in the cohortative: ELXA/NELXA instead of
ELEX/NELEX. it is also documented, i believe, in canaanite and arabic.
the ending has nothing to do with feminine; on the contrary, it was
NOT used in the feminine (where, in those days, the stronger
imperative was the default ...) i believe that in the following
sources

A. Shulman, The use of modal verb forms. Thesis 1996. Toronto

Peter J. Gentry, The system of the fi nite verbs in classical biblical Hebrew.
Hebrew studies Journal, 1998

you can find a listing of all such words in the OT, if i recall,
between 100 and 200 cases.

observe that construction (I) uses the normal "past" form of the verb
($AKAB-->$IKBAH) whereas (II) is based on the future/imperative form
($KAB-->$IKBAH where xirik replaces the shwa). though this difference
might not be evident at first sight.

nir cohen