b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Early Biblical Hebrew (EBH or SBH - Standard) & LateBiblical Hebrew (LBH)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Early Biblical Hebrew (EBH or SBH - Standard) & LateBiblical Hebrew (LBH)
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 17:03:11 -0700 (PDT)

    Dear Bryant,

     Extra-biblical evidence, such as the Samaria Ostraca,
  points to a different dialect in the North. Yahwistic
theophoric names have a "...YW" ending, instead of the
"...YHW" or "...YH" in Judea. Examples: the PNs "YD(YW",
"$MRYW" in the ostraca.
     The final W here is taken to be a diphthong and pronounced
"yau". In the South these names would have been "YD(YHW",
or "$MRYHW".

    The word for 'year', probably under the influence of
Arameic, is $NT'instead of $NH in the South.

    The famous story in Judges 12 about the Ephraimites
who could not pronounce the sibilant Shin, reflects
ancient tradition about dialectical variation.

   As for diachronic markers - all inscriptional evidence
from the Second Temple period, points to a "Yah" ending
of theophoric names.

   This trend is also clear in the written
evidence of the HB. Cf. the name Yirmiyahu with the name
Obadyah. This is a trend, and exceptions occur both
ways.

  As for reading the whole article - in my experience
it is sometimes possible to get a reprint of an article
through inter-library exchange which is available even
in very small public libraries. If I had it, I would have
mailed you a copy.

  I'm glad you were able to get hold of the charts.

  Uri

  Uri Hurwitz                           Great Neck