b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Early Biblical Hebrew (EBH or SBH - Standard) & LateBiblical Hebrew (LBH)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryant J. Williams III" <bjwvmw AT com-pair.net>
  • To: "Uri Hurwitz" <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Early Biblical Hebrew (EBH or SBH - Standard) & LateBiblical Hebrew (LBH)
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 12:06:27 -0700

Dear Uri,

Thank you for the reference. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds nor the
system to obtain the full article. I was able to obtain the charts though.

Do you think that Andersen and Hess have indicated that the differences in the
YHWH elements would also reflect the division between the Northern and
Southern
Kingdoms and between Pre-exilic, Exilic and Post-Exilic? I looked at the
charts
and the differences especially in the prophets seem to indicate that Exekiel
and
Daniel -yh was the predominant usage from the beginning of the Exile (605 BCE)
and after. Isaiah and Jeremiah both reflect the Southern Kingdom usage; while
the other prophets would reflect Northern Kingdom usage. Considering that
Jeremiah and Kings have the same amount of yhw- usage in them one would be
tempted to think that Jeremiah authored Kings (?).

Chronicles would seem to contradict the latter observation, but because Ezra
(?)
was using the Samuel/Kings as his resources (in additional to others) it would
make sense for the high level of yhw- use and still retain the large amount
of -yh use.

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III