b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] dagesh, gemination, Hannah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Nir cohen - Prof. Mat." <nir AT ccet.ufrn.br>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] dagesh, gemination, Hannah
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 17:57:22 -0200

De: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
Cópia: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
Para: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
Data: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 01:04:11 -0400
Assunto: Re: [b-hebrew] dagesh, gemination, Hannah

> In the same way, the present-day Hebrew speaker will say LE-KARMIY,
> 'to my vineyard', with a hard K, as in the stand-alone KARMIY.
> Isaac Fried, Boston University

language abuse and ignorance are much worse than that, nowadays.
if the guy knows at all what kerem means, he/she would say
"la-kerem sheli", "shalosh kramim" etc.

but i guess we are not gathered here today to discuss modern hebrew. the
really important issue is what knowledge did the masoretes have of ancient
hebrew. probably we shall never know. in between, isaac will, i guess,
continue his protests every time anybody else uses the conventional rules
for modern hebrew grammar, or mentions any other semitic language. and we
shall have to learn to accept this, even if we all disagree.

as to FENNANAH, again, i see no contradiction between this and PNNH and i
tend to accept it as the way this name was used at the time of the LXX.
in particular, no dagesh kal berosh milah. AND dagesh forte on the first N.

nir cohen

On Apr 28, 2011, at 10:21 PM, Uri Hurwitz wrote:

> How about "Lekha" (to you S/M}, "Reevim" (Hungry Pl/M)?
> - the spoken language is full with such examples.

  • [b-hebrew] dagesh, gemination, Hannah, Nir cohen - Prof. Mat., 05/02/2011