b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tevel vs Evel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Pere Porta <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tevel vs Evel
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 19:05:21 +0200

Dear b-hebrew listees,

I'm doing a comparison between several noun types in order to make some
systematization of their patterns.

I find nouns consisting of three root letters with tsere in the first and
tsere in the second.

And so, TBL, world (Ps 19:5) or TB+, Tebeth (a month of the year) (Est 2:16)

And I find nouns consisting of three root letters with tsere in the first
but with segol in the second:

)BL, mourning (2Sa 14:2)
SFR, book (2Sa 1:18)
$B+, tribe (Gn 49:10)

Can anyone provide a good reason of this different pattern?
I mean: not *"the Hebrew language is like this*", but, so to say, an
"internal" reason.
--Have nouns tsere-tsere a feature common to all them?
--Have nouns tsere-segol a feature common to all them, a common
denominator?
--Could we, given this and this and this root consonants, know in advance
which pattern (tsere-tsere or tsere-segol) the resulting noun would fit if
both vowel sounds are to be 'e'?

Friendly,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)